Having recently moved to California, I have come to know and respect the heinous potential of poison oak. What a powerful and tricky plant! Chemical compounds called urushiols bring the burn in both poison oak and in poison ivy, which after contact, sink into your skin. Washing with soap and water (just water won’t do as the urushiols repel water) as soon as you come in contact with poison oak or ivy is key. Poison Oak Mud should be applied to the affected area right after it is washed. Leave on until it is dried and then rinse off. The bentonite clay draws out impurities and oils from the skin and the baking soda and salt have a neutralizing effect which help with the itch. The astringent properties of witch hazel extract tighten the skin and reduce swelling and itch. Essential oil of peppermint cools the skin down and delivers that nice minty tingle to skin that feels like it’s on fire. Be sure to a the jar with you on your adventures through the woods!